There is much renewed interest in Absinthe, which is also known as the Greeny Fairy or La Fee Verte. People want to know what type to buy, how to buy it, how to prepare it and what is the recommended amount of Absinthe to use when preparing a drink.
First you need to buy a quality Absinthe which is rich in essential oils and that contains wormwood. Be sure to buy Absinthes that contains wormwood instead of the many fake or substitute Absinthe that are on sale. Make sure you buy a real Absinthe. If you find it hard to find a good quality Absinthe then you should try making your own using essences from AbsintheKit.com.
Once you have gotten your Absinthe, you will need to learn La Louche, The Ritual. This is the traditional French way of preparing Absinthe which uses one shot. Here are the instructions to follow:-
To perform the Ritual, you will need an Absinthe glass, a slotted Absinthe spoon, a lump of sugar and iced water.
– Pour between 25 to 50 ml of Absinthe into a glass.
– Place the special Absinthe spoon over the rim of the glass and place a cube of sugar in it.
– Drip slowly iced water over the sugar either by dripping from the tap of the fountain or by using a steady hand to pour from a carafe. After giving the sugar a chance to dissolve and drip it slowly through the slots of the spoon. You will see a “louche” effect as the water mixes into the alcohol. The Absinthe louches because the essential oils of the herbs are soluble in alcohol but not in water and so make the mixture cloudy or milky when water is added.
– Sit down, relax and enjoy your Absinthe.
The Czech or Bohemian Method is very similar to the Ritual but is a modern way of preparing cheap Czech Absinthes. The Bohemian method is scorned by Absinthe followers.
Instructions for the Bohemian method:-
– Pour between 25 to 50 ml of Absinthe into a glass then dip the sugar cube into it to soak the sugar.
– Place the cube of sugar on the Absinthe spoon and rest on the rim of the glass.
– Set the sugar cube alight for one minute to allow the surgar to melt and caramelize. The sugar should drip through the slots of the spoon and into the Absinthe.
– Put the spoon into the Absinthe and pour the iced water into the Absinthe to put out any flames and to cause the Absinthe to louche.
– Enjoy the drink.
To enjoy your Absinthe then you will want some Absinthiana – Absinthe glasses, spoons, and perhaps an Absinthe fountain to control the flow of the water. You can find replicas of antique spoons and glasses for purchased from AbsintheKit.com.
When preparing Absinthe drink, what is the recommended amount of Absinthe to use? Use a US shot glass full or approximately 45 ml. Absinthe can be use in cocktails and you can search online for recipes.
Permalink to ‘How Much Absinthe is Recommended?’
Click here for more information about 'How Much Absinthe is Recommended?'.